- UNWTO Workshop for Inbound Tour Operators
- Enhancing Silk Road Interpretation and Quality Guide Training
- Western Silk Road Initiative
- BBC documentary on the Silk Road
- David Baddiel on the Silk Road, Discovery Channel UK
- First ever Silk Road training course for heritage guides, Khiva, Uzbekistan
- VeRo Tour Project
- UNWTO / UNESCO Silk Road Heritage Corridors Tourism Strategy Project
- UNWTO / WTM Silk Road Bloggers Trip to Armenia
- UNWTO / EHL Altai Krai Hospitality Management Strategy
- UNWTO / Pilot Productions joint collaboration: Globe Trekker Round the World 20th Anniversary Special
- EHL/UNWTO Silk Road Strategy Challenge 2012
- Silk Road Promotional Video Clip now online!
- Technical Cooperation
International Silk Road Conference on Nomadic Tourism and Sustainable Cities
13 October 2016 - 15 October 2016
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), together with the Ministry of Environment and Tourism of Mongolia and the World Cities Scientific Development Alliance (WCSDA), organized the International Silk Road Conference on Nomadic Tourism and Sustainable Cities in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia on 13-15 October 2016.
The conference gathered Ministers and high-level officials from 9 UNWTO Silk Road Member States, official representatives from Silk Road regions, the sister UN Agency the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and UNWTO Affiliate Members to address the potential of tourism initiatives focused on nomadic tourism and sustainable city tourism.
The Silk Road countries agreed that, while the Silk Road presents extensive opportunities for development and growth, long-term success will depend upon increased collaboration in the three key areas identified in the Silk Road Action Plan: marketing and promotion, capacity building and destination management, and travel facilitation.
UNWTO would like to thank the co-organizers and all attending delegates for their great input and support during the event. Special gratitude is also due to Turkish Airlines and MIAT for offering sponsorship to the conference.
Relevant Meeting Information:
- Conference programme
- UNWTO Silk Road Programme Flickr Page
- UNWTO Silk Road Programme Facebook Page
- Save the date flyer
- Mongolian Silk Road tourism video
Silk Road Conference in the news:
- Travel and Tour World (published 18 October 2016)
- Mr. Tim Cope receives an official distinction from the Minister of Environment and Tourism of Mongolia (news article published in Mongolia)
- Article - monstsame.mn
- Article - parliament.mn
- Article - mnb.mn
- Article - zaluu.com
- Article - cosmopolitan.mn
Day 1: Plenary Session
- Ms. Alla Peressolova, Head of the UNWTO Silk Road Programme: "Taking a Collaborative Approach to Developing Silk Road Tourism"
- Mr. Paco Buerbaum, COO, IPK International - World Tourism Marketing Consultants: "Opportunities, Challenges and Economic Outlook of the Silk Road region"
- Dr. Gansukh Damba, Advisor to the Minister of Environment and Tourism of Mongolia: "Nomadic Tourism for Mongolia: Critical Issues within the Silk Road"
- Ms. Jennifer Siu Fong Yeung, Vice Chairman of WCSDA: "The Silk Road and World Economic Development"
Day 1: Creating a Stronger Business Environment for the Growth of Nomadic Tourism
- Ms. Banzragh Margad, Head of the Department of Tourism Coordination, Ministry of Environment and Tourism of Mongolia: "Case Study: the Rise of Mongolian Tourism"
- Mr. Zandra Sangadiyev, Minister of Economy of the Republic of Buryatia, Russian Federation
- Video: "Voice of Nomads" Festival (Republic of Buryatia)
- Video: Republic of Buryatia Promotional Clip
- Ms. Oyundelger Dagva, Head of Sales and Marketing, Mongolian National Airlines: "Air Connectivity to Mongolia"
- Mr. Gantemur Damba, President, Mongolian Tourism Association: "Investment Policy for Enforcing Nomadic Tourism"
Day 1: Addressing Cultural and Environmental Concerns while Safeguarding Nomadic Heritage
- Ms. Purevjav Dorjjugder, Director, International Institute for the Study of Nomadic Civilizations: "Sacred Sites Network of Nomads and the New Silk Road Tourism"
- Ms. María Ángeles Martínez Mingueza, Head of the International Relations Unit of the Secretariat of Tourism of Spain, Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism of Spain: "Tourism in Spain: cultural and environmental issues in the Way of Saint James"
- Mr. Enkhtaivan Radnaa, Director, Nomadic Journeys LLC of Mongolia: "Nomadic Tourism and Sustainable Development"
- Mr. Surenbaatar Nergui, Director of Business Development, Juulchin World Tours Corporation: "Community-based sustainable tourism in Mongolia"
Day 2: Unlocking the Potential of Nomadic Tourism through innovative approaches and themed events
- Ms. Egshig Shagdarsuren, Associate Professor, National University of Mongolia
- Mr. Azamat Zhamankulov, Deputy Minister of Culture, Information and Tourism of Kyrgyzstan: Videos: World Nomad Games / World Nomad Games 2016 / Kyrgyzs Republic Promotional Clip at the Expo Milan 2015
- Mr. Alexander Golkov, Mayor of Ulan-Ude, Republic of Buryatia, Russian Federation
- Mr. Michael Turtle, Travel Writer and Blogger: "Blog-marketing strategy reaching the nomad travellers"
- Mr. Battulga Erkhembayar, Director, Environmental Agency of Ulaanbaatar City
- Video: "Ulaanbaatar Summer Tourism" (Ulaanbaatar City Administration)
- Mr. Christoph Santner, Producer, RealMakers Production: "Future and Digital Nomads"