- UNWTO Workshop for Inbound Tour Operators
- Enhancing Silk Road Interpretation and Quality Guide Training
- Western Silk Road Initiative
- BBC documentary on the Silk Road
- David Baddiel on the Silk Road, Discovery Channel UK
- First ever Silk Road training course for heritage guides, Khiva, Uzbekistan
- VeRo Tour Project
- UNWTO / UNESCO Silk Road Heritage Corridors Tourism Strategy Project
- UNWTO / WTM Silk Road Bloggers Trip to Armenia
- UNWTO / EHL Altai Krai Hospitality Management Strategy
- UNWTO / Pilot Productions joint collaboration: Globe Trekker Round the World 20th Anniversary Special
- EHL/UNWTO Silk Road Strategy Challenge 2012
- Silk Road Promotional Video Clip now online!
- Technical Cooperation
UNWTO Silk Road Seminar at WTM London 2014
5 November 2014
10:30 - 11:45
World Travel Market (WTM)
South Gallery 13-14
20 Years of Silk Road Tourism: What has been achieved and what's in store for the future?
Acclaimed as the ‘greatest route in the history of mankind’, the ancient Silk Road formed the first bridge between the East and the West, and was an important vehicle for trade between ancient empires of China, Central and Western Asia, the Indian sub-continent and Rome.
2014 marks the 20th Anniversary of the Samarkand Declaration on Silk Road Tourism, a historic declaration that called for the 'fruitful re-birth of these legendary routes as one of the world's richest cultural tourism destinations'.
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) commemorated this important milestone by inviting industry leaders to discuss the achievements and challenges for developing tourism along this internationally acclaimed route. The seminar looked at the relevance of today's Silk Road, why it is attracting increasing global attention and what is in store for the future.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ms. Alla Peressolova, Head of UNWTO Silk Road Programme
- Mr. Mark Frary, Co-Founder, Travel Perspective
- Mr Gai Jorayev, Institute of Archaeology, University College London
- Ms. Helena Egan, Director, Industry Relations, TripAdvisor
- Mr. Adrian Phillips, Managing Director, Bradt Travel Guides
- Ms. Marina Badias, Head of Strategic Partnerships, Minube
Presentations for downloading:
- Progress on the Silk Road and Key Opportunities for the Future by Ms Alla Peressolova, UNWTO
- The Silk Roads: Trans-national coordination and local impact - finding a beneficial balance by Mr Gai Jorayev
- Read the Social Media Report on the Silk Road launched by Travel Perspective for WTM
- Click here to see event listing on WTM programme of events
EVENT ORGANISED BY: