- UNWTO Workshop for Inbound Tour Operators
- Enhancing Silk Road Interpretation and Quality Guide Training
- Western Silk Road Initiative
- BBC documentary on the Silk Road
- David Baddiel on the Silk Road, Discovery Channel UK
- First ever Silk Road training course for heritage guides, Khiva, Uzbekistan
- VeRo Tour Project
- UNWTO / UNESCO Silk Road Heritage Corridors Tourism Strategy Project
- UNWTO / WTM Silk Road Bloggers Trip to Armenia
- UNWTO / EHL Altai Krai Hospitality Management Strategy
- UNWTO / Pilot Productions joint collaboration: Globe Trekker Round the World 20th Anniversary Special
- EHL/UNWTO Silk Road Strategy Challenge 2012
- Silk Road Promotional Video Clip now online!
- Technical Cooperation
UNWTO Tour Operators’ Forum on the Silk Road - Creating a Stronger Business Environment for Growth
8 March 2012
11:00 - 13:00
Palais West Room
With its richly diverse cultural heritage and its wealth of natural tourism attractions spanning across 12,000 kilometres of ancient routes, the Silk Road as a unique network of tourism destinations has significant potential for growth. Commercial interest across the region has grown considerably in recent years, with ancient connections between the Middle East and Asia being revitalized in a surge of trade and investment in energy, infrastructure, and manufacturing. Stronger economies, improved infrastructure and connectivity, advances in information technology and enhanced mobility are creating new opportunities for tourism.
Yet a number of barriers are hindering tourism development in the Silk Road countries. Visa and border crossing formalities, transport infrastructure, corporate governance and quality assurance are just some of the issues that require the attention of stakeholders to ensure positive growth in the regions.
This seminar will bring tour operators together to discuss the role they can play in overcoming the challenges for doing business on the Silk Road. Conclusions and recommendations from this session will be included in the UNWTO Silk Road Action Plan 2012/2013.
Recommendations following the UNWTO Tour Operators Forum on the Silk Road - Creating a Stronger Business Environment for Growth: BUILDING A STRONGER SILK ROAD: Strategic Recommendations for Enhancing Tourism with a Special Focus on Central Asia